- Pets can be affected by both radiation exposure and contamination.
- After a very large mass radiation casualty event, medical resources will be scarce. Using scarce, radiation-related resources for animals may be difficult.
- Animal preparedness information resources below provide general emergency and disaster information, not specifically related to a radiological or nuclear event.
top of page
Key Online Information Resources
- Disaster Preparedness - Disaster Training (American Veterinary Medical Foundation)
- Interim Guidelines for Animal Health and Control of Disease Transmission in Pet Shelters (American Veterinary Medical Association and HHS/CDC)
- Protect your pets in an emergency (HHS/CDC)
- Caring for Animals (Ready.gov)
- Animal emergency and disaster planning information: includes information on companion, farm, research, zoo, circus, and marine animals (USDA)
- Animal safety — pets and disaster: be prepared (American Red Cross)
- AVMA Disaster Preparedness, including specific resources and plans for each state (American Veterinary Medical Association)
- Veterinary Medical Assistance Team (VMAT): (HHS/National Disaster Medical System) VMATs provide assistance in assessing the extent of disruption and need for veterinary services following major disasters and emergencies.
- Dunning D, Martin MP, Tickel JL, Gentry WB, Cowen P, Slenning BD. Preparedness and disaster response training for veterinary students: literature review and description of the North Carolina State University Credentialed Veterinary Responder Program. J Vet Med Educ. 2009 Fall;36(3):317-30. [PubMed Citation]
- Beckman-Moore J, Eidson M, Ruland L. Survey of New York veterinarians to assess needs for public health preparedness training. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2010 Dec;4(4):300-5. [PubMed Citation]
- Western Massachusetts Disaster Animal Response Team Initiative: many useful resources for pet-centric planning and responses in your own venue
- Understanding How to Accommodate Service Animals in Healthcare Facilities (HHS)
top of page