Exposure and Symptom Triage (EAST) Tool to Assess Radiation Exposure After a Nuclear Detonation
Exposure and Symptom Triage (EAST) Tool to Assess Radiation Exposure After a Nuclear Detonation (Can print normal size or make large poster for wall - 2 pages) (PDF - 365 KB)
Source: Hick JL, Bader JL, Coleman CN, Ansari AJ, Chang A, Salame-Alfie A, Hanfling D, Koerner JF. Proposed "Exposure And Symptom Triage" (EAST) Tool to Assess Radiation Exposure After a Nuclear Detonation. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2018 Jun;12(3):386-395. [PubMed Citation]
- Notes about this tool
- This proposed tool has not been validated in a real-world radiation incident.
- It is not "binary" with respect to triage decision; it is more of a risk matrix than a decision tool.
- It has limited predictive value compared to serial absolute lymphocyte counts and definitive biodosimetry tests, but it
- Is better than "ad hoc" decisions
- Provides planning and implementation structure
- Provides a level of fairness and consistency
PDF documents can be viewed with the free Adobe® Reader