- Radiation exposure causes DNA strand breaks leading to abnormal chromosome replication, including dicentric chromosome formation.
- Increases in radiation dose produce increasing numbers of abnormal (dicentric) chromosomes.
- The numbers of dicentric chromosomes correlate well with radiation dose (i.e., increases in dose produce increased numbers of dicentric chromosomes).
- Dicentric chromosome assay is the radiation biodosimetry "gold standard"
- Time consuming and highly technique dependent