|Image A||Image B|
- A digital photo of the metaphase spread is taken at 63x magnification.
- A dicentric chromosome has two centromeres — the point where the two chromatids connect.
- The number of dicentric chromosomes is counted and compared to calibration curves to estimate radiation dose.
- Image A displays a normal metaphase spread.
- Image B reveals a meatphase spread with a dicentric chromosome circled in red.
Adapted from Cytogenetic Biodosimetry Laboratory (Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site (REAC/TS))